Red Pacem
If your neighbour disappears
O if your neighbour disappears
The quiet man who raked his lawn
The girl who always took the sun
Never mention it to your wife
Never say at dinner time
Whatever happened to that man
Who used to rake his lawn
Never say to your daughter
As you’re walking home from church
Funny thing about that girl
I haven’t seen her for a month
And if your son says to you
Nobody lives next door
They’ve all gone away
Send him to bed with no supper
Because it can spread, it can spread
And one fine evening coming home
Your wife and daughter and son
They’ll have caught the idea and will be gone.
Warning
The ancient craftsman smiled
when I asked him to blow a bottle
to keep your tears in.
And he smiled and hummed in rhythm with his
hands
as he carved delicate glass
and stained it with the purple
of a drifting evening sky.
But the bottle is lost in a corner of my house.
How could I know you could not cry?
Folk Song
Oh the sisters of mercy, they are not departed or gone.
They were waiting for me when I thought that I just can't go on.
And they brought me their comfort and later they brought me this song.
Oh I hope you run into them, you who've been travelling so long.
Yes you who must leave everything that you cannot control.
It begins with your family, but soon it comes around to your soul.
Well I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned:
When you're not feeling holy, your loneliness says that you've sinned.
Well they lay down beside me, I made my confession to them.
They touched both my eyes and I touched the dew on their hem.
If your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn
they will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem.
When I left they were sleeping, I hope you run into them soon.
Don't turn on the lights, you can read their address by the moon.
And you won't make me jealous if I hear that they sweetened your night:
We weren't lovers like that and besides it would still be all right,
We weren't lovers like that and besides it would still be all right.
Sisters of Mercy
One noticed his hands,
finely carved,
almost the colour of jade,
and the fingernails,
pink and cultivated.
He spoke of Art
and of poetry
and held us with descriptions
of the Masters.
Often when walking
he sang fragments
of austere Spanish songs
from the Court of Ferdinand,
and quoted Dante
accurately and often.
But in his lapel,
discreetly,
he wore a sprig of asphodel.
Satan in Westmount
Leonard Cohen – Let Us Compare Mythologies (1956)
Comentários
Enviar um comentário